Small formations attacked London and East Anglia.

Night: Very quiet.

Weather: Dull with continuous rain all day.

Main Activity:

Early in the morning a large raid formed up across the Straits, but whatever the Luftwaffe’s original intention the weather did not lend itself to serious business. Only single raiders and small formations dashed to the London airfields in the morning.

An entry in Biggin Hill’s operations book recorded ‘a low-flying attack by single enemy bomber. Three barrack blocks destroyed. No. 1 parachute and cable post came into action, and hit an enemy aircraft, but failed to bring it down. One aircraft was damaged, slight damage to the aerodrome surface’.

By midday there were again signs of a big concentration at Cap Gris Nez. This resolved into smaller units, some of which attacked Middle Wallop with high-explosive and oil-bombs. Northolt and Uxbridge were also targets for small formations.

An intercepted German wireless message made it clear, however, that Luftwaffe operations were more or less cancelled for the day owing to the continuous rain and low cloud. In spite of German tactics and the weather the RAF lost one plane only. German losses were six aircraft.

Considering the weather German bombing was remarkably accurate that night. A powder factory was hit at Waltham Abbey, Hertfordshire, and de Havilland’s aircraft works had a narrow escape. Disturbed by no more than seven bombers, however, Londoners slept well.

Excerpt from The Narrow Margin by Derek Wood & Derek Dempster

German Losses
Airmen: 19 | Aircraft: 9

British Losses
Airmen: 2 | Aircraft: 2

Spitfire R6683, No. 64 Squadron
Sgt. F.F. Vinyard killed. Aircraft was seen to crash into the sea off Flamborough Head.

Hurricane P3102, No. 303 Squadron
Sgt. A. Siudak killed. Aircraft destroyed on the ground by enemy raider attacking Northolt.

Photo Description:

  1. A Messerschmitt Bf 109E-1 of JG 27 (W.Nr. 6147) is taken away on an RAF Maintenance Unit lorry outside offices in Stockwell, south London, during October 1940. The aircraft was left there for about a month where it was used as a collecting point for an RAF charity. It had been shot down in the village of Isfield, East Sussex, on 15 September with its pilot, Uffz Andreas Walburger, captured unharmed. The aircraft was later exhibited at a number of other locations in aid of local Spitfire Funds.